In July 2012, the City Council approved staff to work with a consultant to create a Downtown Parking Management Plan to address parking challenges in the downtown area. The final Downtown Parking Management Plan was adopted in September 2013, and will serve as a framework for the implementation of parking management and supply strategies in the downtown area.
The City of Los Altos has identified the following priorities for the Downtown Parking Management Plan:
- To provide access to convenient parking for downtown customers, employees, and visitors;
- To support and encourage continued investment in the downtown core;
- To manage supply efficiently to avoid unnecessary investment;
- To identify, plan, or establish potential reserve of parking supply to facilitate future development; and
- To mitigate spillover parking in residential neighborhoods.
The full report is available for review below.
Table of Contents 
Chapter 1: Existing Conditions Analysis 
Chapter 2: Parking Management Recommendations 
Chapter 3: Demand Analysis 
Chapter 4: Parking Supply Augmentation Analysis 
Chapter 5: Finance Strategies & Implementation 
Appendix 1A: Council Review of Downtown Parking Management Recommendations 
Appendix 2A: Parking Comparables 
Appendix 2B: Technology Cost Comparison 
Appendix 3A: Downtown Shared Parking Agreement between Safeway, Inc. and the City of Los Altos 
Appendix 3B: Parking Demand Tables 
Appendix 4A: Parking Plaza Layouts & Cost Analysis